UPDATES.
I'm not longer attending the University of Maryland.
Why?... because I fucked up.
Sometimes things don't come easy.. Have you ever thought about downing a bottle of nyquil? or maybe swallowing a few extra tylenol.? I have.. it's not a pleasant thought, and I'd rather not hurt the ones I love, especially my mother.
Anyway my Aunt is a bitch. I'd like to post the emails we've been sending to each other.. you'll know why I'd like to slap her.
________________________________________________________________
8-5-09
Dear Aunt Kathie,
I hope you're having a fantastic summer, and that everyone is doing well. I'm sorry I haven't been better in touch, I've been working the overnight shift at CVS, as my summer job. I was also working at The Children's Place up until a few weeks ago, but it became hard to juggle both jobs on opposite schedules. With my job at CVS allowing plenty of hours on a doable schedule, I have found this summer to be exactly what I needed to prepare for a great year back at UMD.
As we discussed earlier this year, my tuition is temporarily not covered by government aid due to my less than outstanding academic performance this past fall. I was hoping for your help with this matter by means of the trust fund, under the understanding that my grades remain my first priority. I recently received my university bill for July, that lists my cost of $9337.08 for attendance at Maryland this fall. That bill is attached. The prior balance that the July bill refers to is the remaining amount ($430.33) due from last semester, which we had discussed. Having contacted the office of the bursar, I was told to pay off the remaining balance at once. Assuming the lack of unforeseen problems, this amount should be covered with my next paycheck. In addition, I will of course be covering the $12.75 fee for residence hall room damage. I accept full responsibility for these charges.
Thanks so much for your help. I know we are in stressful economic times, and I appreciate your understanding these last few months.
Love,
Antoinette
___________________________________________________________________
8-6-09
Dear Antoinette,
The bill is not attached as you can see, but it doesn't matter as I need a bill that says you have paid your balance before I can send the bill to the trust. When the balance is zero, you may send me the bill.
The trust pays for tuition only, so I am assuming that your scholarships are still available to pay for your room and board. I will not be sending you any more money then what the trust pays for tuition, so be sure you have enough for the year before you register.
I do not want to activate this years trust if you are unable to attend school in the fall because we should save it for when you can go to school. We only get 8 semesters and you have already used 2 and have at least 7 more semesters to go to achieve your 120 credits. So, as of now, there will be a semester for which you will be responsible.
I am happy that you were able to work this summer...and of course I hope everything works out for you. We are fine. My Aunt has been is the hospital once in the last six months, but she is back at the assisted living home and is stable at this time.
I will look for a paid bill from you and send it directly to the trust when I receive it. I hope it is in time for the beginning of the semester if this is what you decide to do.
Love, Aunt Kathie
___________________________________________________________________
8-14-09
Dear Aunt Kathie,
After a stressful week of figuring out how to get finances for room and board, I have managed to find a way to pay for it. I've enrolled in the Terp Payment Plan which credits the amount to my account, and then allows me to make monthly payments for that specific amount. I've also paid the prior balance on my account, however, having met with an advisor in the financial office, I have found that it will not be possible for me to send you a copy of my bill stating a balance of $0, regardless of the fact that my prior balance from last semester is paid off, because the charges for Fall 2009 as well as the paid balance are also on my account. However, as the billing period ends on the 20th, that bill will not be available until after my tuition is due.
Attached is the copy of the July bill, which has to be paid by the 20th of this month, or my classes will be dropped. It says the balance is $9337, however I am also giving you access to my student account, which is updated about every 24 hours. It will show you all of the charges and payments on my account, that the bill won't show until next month. This morning I paid the remaining balance with my debit card, so it should show up within the next 48 hours, and the current balance will be $4010.08.
To access my account..
**** there was info here****
You should be able to see my account information after this. If you have any trouble or questions just email or call me at 443-***-**** I have to change my password every semester, so I will send you my new password when the time comes.
Love,
Antoinette
___________________________________________________________________
8-15-09
Dear Antoinette,
Where are you going to get the money to make the payments which start Sept. 5th?
I assume since you are asking for this amount of money that you also lost your scholarships? Or that they were only for one year?
If I remember correctly, you were unable to keep the job you had last year and still study. Plus I would think you were unable to make that kind of money through the entire summer, so that a part time job during the school year would not be enough money for you to make the payments.
I think you are being unrealistic and should consider commuting to a college from home. Lots of people do it and you have many schools to pick that are near you by bus....
Please respond to the questions. Aunt Kathie
___________________________________________________________________
8-15-09
Dear Aunt Kathie,
I appreciate your concern, however I've talked my mom and she is going to help me make the payments towards the room and board, Mr.Chuck said he will help out if we have trouble. My grant from last year is temporarily suspended due to my academic probation, after this semester it will be reinstated for the spring. I'm going to be working at CVS on weekends so that I can help out with the payments and so I don't have to be rehired come winter break. All of the arrangements for this coming semester have been made, with the exception of my tuition.
Love,
Antointette
___________________________________________________________________
8-15-09
Dear Antoinette,
I feel that you are asking to much to go away to school. I don't think you can really come up with the money from your mother and I feel that if you take the loan from the Terp program they will never get paid. I am not going to aid you to what I consider stealing.
I have also talked to Samantha and what she tells me about your attitude and actions are terrible. How can you be this way, lying to her and creating so much trouble after she has been so wonderful to you. I believe her because of how you have used us by spending the trusts money that first semester.
If you want to be reasonable, nice to Samantha and go to a school where you can commute, I will pay for your tuition, but I will not throw this money away...So no money for tuition at University of Maryland college park will be paid.
I am so very sorry and so very upset. I had hoped to help you, but I cannot do this. Aunt Kathie
___________________________________________________________________
8-15-09
Aunt Kathie,
I've talked to Mrs.Samantha and she said that you don't want to interact with my mother, so we've discussed that I will stop all interactions with her, so that I can get a good education. Mr.Chuck said that as long as I apply myself and show a strong effort, he'll do what he can to help me with room and board, but he doesn't have enough to help with tuition. They think going to a community college is step back from where I currently am, and if I do drop out of UMD I will not be able to get back in. Classes from a community college do not alter the GPA at UMD, and will have no effect whatsoever. Although, it's too late to get into any colleges around here, because the classes are full. I'd have to wait until next semester. I have no way of commuting, so the only option would be Baltimore City Community College which is pretty much an extension of high school. The majority of the classes don't transfer to accredited colleges.
The Terp Payment Program is not a loan. It simply credits the money to my account at the beginning of the semester so the computer system doesn't drop my classes. After that it adds the monthly charge to my account, which will be paid. I know you have your doubts, but I can assure I have it taken care of.
I know you have your mind made up, but I wish you'd reconsider.
Antoinette
___________________________________________________________________
8-15-09
Dear Antoinette,
First, I looked up the Terp Payment Program and 5 payments of around $1000 each have to be made by the 5th of each month starting in Sept. If a payment is not made a 1 1/2% charge is added on. That is a definition of a LOAN.
Secondly, Credits from accredited schools are accepted at U of MD at 2/3's their value.
Thirdly, You can reapply to a U of MD school after taking off a semester and you don't know for sure if they won't accept you. They usually do.
Fourth, I don't know how you can accept Mr. Chuck's offer after the way you have behaved this summer. You should be ashamed to even think of it...
Last, While a community college is a step back, where you are is on academic probation with lots of money owed and wanting to increase your debts...
Basically, you cannot afford to go to College Park. I am NOT assured that you have the money.,...
Take this semester off, work and apply to UMBC in the spring. There is a bus that goes right down Catonsville avenue....
My decision stands...Aunt Kathie
****************************************************************
8-16-09
If I may suggest something, Call UMBC on Monday and see if you can get in for the fall semester. If you can't, take one class, one that interests you, get an A in it and that will help with your probation. It will also help to keep you from forgetting how to study. Aunt Kathie
___________________________________________________________________
8-16-09
Aunt Kathie,
If I cannot get into UMBC, at what school do you want me to take a class? The only way to increase my GPA is to take classes at UMCP, any classes taken at other schools with not have an effect on my GPA. I'd still be on probation upon returning to UMCP.
Antoinette
___________________________________________________________________
8-16-09
Dear Antoinette,
If you can't get into school at UMBC full time, ask if you can take one class. After full time students register for classes they are opened for part time people. Good luck and let me know...Aunt Kathie
**************************************************************
Antoinette- go to this web site to learn about transfer of credits to UMCP from any accredited school....
http://www.tce.umd.edu/faq.html
press on---- What courses will be accepted.....
Aunt Kathie
___________________________________________________________________
8-17-09
Aunt Kathie,
I'm currently trying to figure out how to withdraw from UMCP, unless I can some how get a student loan within the next few days. I used to work at the Transfer Credit Center at the Office of the Registrar and I've already talked to my old boss about what classes will transfer to UMCP. He suggested that I do not take anything that would be considered a "major" class, but rather a "core" class, since they are more likely to transfer. If I cannot go back to UMCP this semester I'm going to try to go to Baltimore City Community College until I can afford something else. However my original intention was to go to UMCP this semester, since everything was already planned out and then go to a community college next semester.
Antoinette
___________________________________________________________________
8-17-09
Dear Antoinette,
I was hoping to hear from you today that you would be going to UMBC this fall and would like the trust money for that. Maybe you would like it there and the cost is much more reasonable with the room and board costs.
I am assuming that Baltimore Com. Col. has core classes and it an accredited school? If the answer is yes, that would work. Should I call the trust and ask them if they pay for that, or do you want to save the trust for when you go back to the Maryland schools?
I don't think you should waste your time looking for a loan. I can't imagine that you would qualify for a ten thousand dollar loan....
Aunt Kathie
___________________________________________________________________
So basically this is what has been happening and is the reason behind my emotional breakdown.
Anyway I have to work tonight.. and I should probably be sleeping/eating right now.
I'll update more later, but I felt this was necessary for others to see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment